Advertisment

Sport

14 February, 2025

Griffith pulls pin on West Wyalong Knockout

Waratahs pull plug amid racism video fallout

By Dane Millerd

PUSHING FORWARD: WWRLFC Vice President, Josh Judd with President, Matt Goodwin, have been busy ensuring the 52nd WW KO goes ahead after a racist video was unfairly linked to the club. Photo by Dane Millerd.
PUSHING FORWARD: WWRLFC Vice President, Josh Judd with President, Matt Goodwin, have been busy ensuring the 52nd WW KO goes ahead after a racist video was unfairly linked to the club. Photo by Dane Millerd.

GRIFFITH Waratahs has pulled the pin on the West Wyalong Knockout in the wake of the Cooper Laudon racism video clip on Australia Day.

The club, who had been scheduled to play Young Cherrypickers, last year’s runners-up, gave players a chance to mull over the decision as to whether they wanted to play in the 52nd instalment of the West Wyalong Knockout and in a united front, all agreed to snub Bland Shire’s flagship rugby league carnival.

Waratahs president Craig Wheeler said the club had given the playing group time to “consider their decision”, however revealed that at training on Tuesday night “they were committed to making a stand”.

As a result, they won't be playing in the knockout.

Wheeler said the club prides it’self on being a “multicultural club” and while the Waratahs will no longer be playing at the Knockout, they are looking at two trial games in March, against Hay and Albury.

The decision means that the Knockout draws will be redone again for the second time in a week after Mudgee Dragons pulled out and Temora before them.

The new draw is as follows –

West Wyalong Knockout Friday February 28

6:30pm – Tully LC v Forbes

7:10pm – West Wyalong v Parkes

7:50pm – Young v Yanco

8:30pm – Wagga South City v Leeton

9:10pm – Cooma v Woden Valley

9:50pm – Dubbo CYMS v Hay

10:30pm – Bombala v Orange CYMS

The best performing losers from Friday night will make up the eighth and final quarter final spot. Last year, Woden Valley lost on the Friday night before going on to clinch the title from Young and the Rams will be primed again to go all the way having done it the hard way in 2024.

The 14 teams in this year’s event is a step up from 11 last year as the famous tournament looks to regain ground after COVID. West Wyalong Rugby League Football Club along with sponsors and partners have done a tremendous job to reinvigorate the flagship event – however they have worn the brunt of the fallout from the racist video clip aired on Australia Day despite Laudon not being contracted to the club and playing Northern Riverina FNL for Tullibigeal Grasshoppers last year as well as the Malle Men.

The West Wyalong Advocate contacted NRFNL secretary Leanne Imrie for comment regarding the incident and Imrie said that “the player in question, isn’t contracted to any AFL side this season and the league wouldn’t be releasing a statement given the actions of the individual were not at a team event, function or in team colours”.

“While we don’t condone racism, we also can’t be responsible for the individual actions of people away from the club,” she said.

Sentiments echoed by Mallee Men President, Matt Goodwin.

“I played for multiple teams during my career and if I had behaved that way does that mean all those clubs are tarnished as a result of my individual actions?” Goodwin said.

“They aren’t nor should they be and at some point, individuals need to take responsibility and accountability for their behaviour.”

Imrie agreed.

“There are no winners in this, and it is sad but the club won’t be releasing a statement on it and will leave it to the relevant authorities and processes to deal with it,” she said.

In the interim, it’s all systems go for both the rugby league and Aussie Rules this season for West Wyalong and Tullibigeal as both clubs hope to put a tumultuous off-season behind them with an outstanding 2025. It all begins for the Mallee Men on February 28.

Read More: West Wyalong

Advertisment

Most Popular